Just because you have to stay home, it doesn't mean you can't still race...
Race to Hawaii in a Santa Cruz 52? No problem you lucky ducks! We've arranged with SailOnline.org to run a Virtual Pac Cup. Guide your race machine in real time from the Golden Gate Bridge to the welcoming arms of Kaneohe Bay.
A streamlined user interface lets you name your boat, choose your heading, check your polars, and go. You can even schedule course changes in advance, which should be even more reliable than leaving a note for the off-watch crew!
The system uses live real weather data, so you only get one shot at this, just like the real thing.
Signups are open now. Actual start: just like we originally planned: Thursday, July 2, at Noon PDT. No cost to enter.
PCYC Board member Rebecca Hinden got this set up for us. She had been using a virtual ocean race to hone her weather routing skills, so it will be your call: Expedition? OpenCPN? just go with your gut? We'll be interested to see whose tactics pay off the best.
Prizes? Yes, Prizes!
We're checking the storehouse, but expect to be offering prizes* in two categories:
- General/Overall Prizes:
- 1st-10th: Public recognition AND a 2020 Pacific Cup hat!
- 2020 Entrant Prizes. The latter are for skippers, owners, and crew signed up in the 2020 or 2022 race and PCYC members But you must register with us here
- 1st: Pacific Cup Aloha Shirt
- 2nd-5th: Super comfy Pac Cup Tees
- Discretionary: Coupons from WRI for free weather routing
- Lunch for two at the Halfway Cafe
Meanwhile, time to brush up on Ocean weather!
Did someone say Weather?
Our friends at WRI are offering free weather advice for those who join the virtual race mailing list. See details here.